Friday, September 26, 2008

More Kritsa


It was great to return to Kritsa. It has been 18 years since the last time I visted. Discovering the "Papadoulis Tavern" a couple of kilometres before the village was a treat. When you look at the photo of the lady and the donkey you can see the sign in the background for those that can read Greek.


On Sunday as Sue mentioned we are going to the restuarant that is in the next village. Yanni told me they make this special dish from the baking juices of roasted goat. You can not get this meal anywhere else in Greece, which means you cant get it any where else in the world.!! Yanni was licking his lips desribing it to me and my mouth started to water. The meal is cooked by these old ladies in the next village beyond Kritsa. I asked Yanni if I could get the recipe he just laughed at me. Only a few old ladies know the recipe and I get the felling they maybe taking it to their graves.


I wish you could smell the scents in the country. It is like a bowl of fresh herbs because the herbs are growing wild along the road sides and in the hills. Every shop we walk into in Kritsa know the Papadoulis family. It will be fun going to Church on Sunday.

Kritsa is the oldest village in Crete and has records of people living in the same place for over 3000 years. It is a funny shaped village and looking down from the sky it looks like the shape of a scorpian. The Creten people are very proud but the people from Kritsa seem to be the proudest and very independant. They live long in Kritsa. We saw a man who looked like he was at least in his 90's walking up the hill with a gas bottle on his back. The lady in the shop said to me " his Grandfather must have sent him to get some gas"

They have a sense of humour as well.


No comments: